Monday, September 14, 2009

Barbie-Style Overhead

He he he. The store girls in Oman always referred to me as their Barbie, and forced me to try on every pink jalabiyia in the store. LOL. Anyways... just to let ya'll know, my shoes have less a heel than the ones shown in my collage---mine are kitten heels not stillettos. And I DO generally cover my feet---but with my jilbab not with socks. I MIGHT wear socks if I notice my feet causing men to stare at them, but you can ask Boxie and Um Khaled (I have some pretty ugly looking feet most of the time lol). Anyways...

I love SunnahStyle.com (they are THE best for plain black abayas that are somewhat affordable and really quickly delivered here in Canada) I recently wished to order this abaya http://www.sunnahstyle.com/product_info.php?pName=shaamilah-closed-overhead-abaya&cName=abayas-overhead from them (USD $50.99) since they are one of the few places I trust to get my sizes right, to wear with my new barbie pink kitten heels from Le Chateau in the Gulf with niqab and gloves (I've been told by numerous people to keep my eyes, hands, and face covered in the Gulf). Something like this for Saudi and Egypt--- ...and something way more like this for the rest of the Gulf (I like my eyes to breathe because while I see shapes and everything clearly, I don't see colours like I like to with mesh or sunglasses).
But since my habibi endearingly terms the overhead abaya "grandma style" (I like Grandma things----my grandmothers Victorian nightgowns, glove collection, and hat pins (make killer hijab pins) are to DIE for) I bought this butterfly abaya that with khimar and niqab, has much the same effect http://www.sunnahstyle.com/product_info.php?pName=black-satin-full-butterfly-abaya&cName=abayas-butterfly for $49.99.

Then, of course, I swore to myself, enough black abayas for you! You DO live in Canada, and your father resents religious wear of any kind, and sees black as especially "suspicious" so enough money spent.... Start saving more for hirjah and hajj and a new house (renting is not my favourite pasttime). So what do I go and do? I get mad at my messed up day and go out an buy another black abaya on impulse.... But hey, don't hate me. The abaya was $14.00 Canadian and I found it at a Thrift Store.

*and about socks and gloves for me: I will wear tights (probably) but if I don't I make sure my abayas always cover my shoes in case I am somewhere hot. I think gloves are not part of proper hijab at all since many authentic ahadith document the Prophet's wives hands exposed to non-maharam men (so I can't even find it to be a sunnah) but I do think it is respectful culturally in a Gulf state (and I HATE stalker/perverts). I personally don't think overhead abayas and gloves are proper hijab (I mean they are proper hijab but they are not the ONLY proper hijab) but really safe hijab. They definately do meet all the requirements of hijab to me (and this is always beautiful and something I admire) but other clothing does as well without be as intimdating to non-muslims. of course, in the end, we should only care what Allah S.W.T thinks. I personally like overhead abayas so lng as the niqab isn't tucked in (that looks kinda creepy to me while it may be practical I no likey) but gloves I only think fit a cultural, practical (warmth) or fashion purpose. There is no evidence of women wearing gloves as hijab in the days of the Sahaba that I have ever found. So I won't say gloves are part of hijab. But they are part of Gulf culture and fashion, and here in my country, I wear them for warmth.


No comments:

Post a Comment