Friday, September 11, 2009

WHY I haven't been posting

For those have you who have been following ILOVEHISHMA, you'll know that its author, Pixie, has been overloaded with packing for her move to UAE (short-term), switching flats back in Canada, and planning her (aka mine) Canadian civil service wedding (along with attending iftars and studying Islam during Ramadan). Soooo, I am glad to announce, alhamdulilah, the civil service is done, and I am officially lawfully married. These are some of the pictures from our special day. DO NOT RE-POST THEM ANYWHERE ON THE NET WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! Grrrr, lol. So, I sewed my own dress (it cost a total of $30.00 CAD but took over sixteen hours to make). Its a bit old fashioned and has a vinatgey feel to it. I hand beaded smoky topaz coloured swarowski crystals and seed-pearls on the lace applique, made my own veil out of tulle and silk and a vintage necklace, and borrowed Boxie's lacy embroidered hijab from Kuwait.I also gained ten lbs (alhamdulilah cuz I was a bit too underweight for a while and was starting to look like a prepubescent boy) before cutting the dress, so it was a little more modest when I began (since I didn't have curves lol) so if I had it to do over, I would loosen the waist seems and cut the belt, but since it was women and my family mainly, it wasn't really any big deal. But Boxie had fun doing me up and pulled a muscle (my Dad had to help lol). My sister Jane wore a Tiffany-box blue dress and pearls, and Boxie (I'll post a pic maybe later) wore hat hijab and looked oh-so fine in purple. My Daddy wore a tie for the first time since his own wedding way back, and the guests were a mix of formal and informal. LOL, one of the couples who attended were the owners of the school where my husband and I met, and they had brought a guest from Taiwan to show her a "traditional" Canadian wedding, and we all joked that she'd be rather confused because my wedding included, suit and tie, jeans and a t-shirt, thobe, salwar kameez, hijab, and white wedding dress, lol.
Explaining Canadian traditions (like smooshing cake into the face of the groom) to one Saudi sister, made her (and Y) quite horrified. Needless to say I left off on the cake smooshing. Mainly since my wedding cake was ice cream cake. That'd be a bit cruel. But I had fun, mainly taking pics before the getting together of everyone. Preparing the food in full formal wear was a bit stressful though. And the groom forgetting the marriage liscence and having to drive an hour into the city to go get it lol. ANNNNND the wedding cake melting because of this, so it had to be served up in one big bowl, lol. Icecream cakes do not make good wedding cakes ya'll, lol, even if they are yummy, he he he. So inshaAllah your Ramadan is going well, and I hope to write more soon inshaAllah.

No comments:

Post a Comment