Monday, April 20, 2009

Muslim Women of the World: Hijab in Iran

Oman was my first experience of Islamic-inspired fashion. In these sets, "Muslim Women of World" I hope to document how women the world over adopt hijab, and adapt it to their lives. I will start with the two most popularized so-called Islamic countries the West seems to associate hijab with (particularily since it is enforced in these places). The Islamic (LOL) Republic of Iran, and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia [neither are Islamic governements]. This set will be about Iran.Often when we think of Iranian hijab we have one of two iamges, that of the stereotypical stylish young Persian woman in Tehran who only wears hijab because it is enforced upon her... This girl, if we are lucky, has styled her beautiful headcsarf more like a headband to display her preened blonde highlights, and a tight fitted coat or button up blouse that she calls a "manteau", likely with quarter length sleeves and capris. Sometimes she even has a "stylish" banadage on her nose to indicate a nose job. Is she a hijabi? Not really, so I am not blaming her for creating a bad example for possibly confused new Muslims. Girls, I warning you now don't wear the hijab styles pictured below. It is the look of a non-muslim woman forced to wear hijab, it is not Islamic whatsoever.
...Our other image is of the Iranian modesty police woman shrouded in her black encompassing chador, policing these "wayward girls"... She is a symbol of totalitarian government to some, and of conformity. Iranian hijab cannot be expressed in this cookie cutter fashion.Let's begin with the chador---it is not traditionally black but can look lovely in black. It is often in bright traditonal printz or whites... It was always a cultural sign of a woman's beauty.I personally love alot of the Iranian fashion pieces I have seen in the media. Let me just post and comment on a whole heck of a load of photos for you. Bear with me, I am not gonna organize them in any kind of specific order...
The government in Iran put on a fashion show (which most of the Wetsern media thought drolly ironic) but I quite enjoyed it. I like this chador. I wouldn't wear it. But I think it looks modest and nice.
Bright traditional prints, a little bit of traditional silver work... Too folksy for me, but pretty. I'd like to see some of the Aunties at the Masjid wearing things like these:D
Okay, this style is totally something most non-abaya girls would look so good in. Modest but elegant. It is "almost" Turkish.Iranian "jumper". I.e the sleeveless jilbab. If that hijab were draped around the neck, it'd be very Islamic and practically pretty. Trouser and jilbab set with a floral print scarf. I'd wear this. Now, I have uploaded so many photos I am too lazy to comment, so just sit back and enjoy...
Okay, I LOVE this one above.

No comments:

Post a Comment