Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Glasses and Hijab

I always wear sunglasses with my khimar when I go outside. They are my niqab when I am not wearing a niqab. But inside at my work, I cannot veil my face or wear dark tinted glasses (though sometimes I have taken clients and forgotten about the sunglasses perched on the top of my head). I work for a non-muslim bank in the advice/customer service department and I am the only hijabi in my entire work designation and often the only person who can answer questions about Islamic banking. There is no Islamic bank in our province so people have to use non-Islamic banks, including the Islamic charities here. Anyways, I love glasses, and yesturday bought a pair of pink fashion frames from Claires. These I can wear indoors. I love them. I have an important interview with a non-bank related entity (make dua for me---this job is 100% halal and could involve helping people without me being in a war zone getting shot at), since my job is only okay depending on what scholar you ask. Most banks profit off of riba (interest) but in a non-muslim country the lack of no alternative has given us some fatwas of what we can and cannot do with or for these companies. Since I am ale to help Muslims select products that don't earn them riba, or get them into debt, I am morally okay with explaining what I am doing with Allah subhanhu wa ta'ala. But I have made dua for so long because I am not okay with how most big companies profit on riba. But so did the fashion store I used to work for through its investment system. Anyhooooo, please make dua for me that they find a position for me (I can't talk about the job, that's one of the requirements) but this job would let me keep my citizenship, help people, and make hirjah. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! InshaAllah, if it is what Allah wants for me, it is where I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment