Friday, May 22, 2009

What I think about some "Hijab Fashion"

Milda (wa alaykom e salaam ramatullah wa barakto sister) gave me the link for this old set of videos and wondered on my thoughts on them. I have got to be aboslutely upfront and honest, alot of what was featured wasn't Islamic hijab [close as most of it was] (and as a Muslimah, I've gotta object to that AND encourage at the same time):




My thoughts can be summed up through these pics, in response to those last three video clips.... I don't believe one should ever sacrifice what Islam entails hijab is for the sake of a fashion trend (i.e skinny jeans, cinched waist belts, cleavage bearing tops, belly tops, quarter sleeves, tights, knee high boots, skin tight or see through abayat) but I do believe hijab should be made to look beautiful so long as it doesn't compromise the requirements of hijab, or be used to raise one's status among men. We should be focussed on raising our status on an individual level with Allah subhanhu wa ta'ala. That means dressing in a way that is as put together as we have the means and time available to, in a way that is as God asked of us as Muslimahs. I agee with what the girl in the pink hijab said at the end of the vid though:

I love my hijab and don't find it oppressive at all and I always manage to find things in the malls that make perfect hijab and jilbab. It takes the knowledge of what correct hijab is though, and what trends can NEVER be adapted to be modest hijab.

No comments:

Post a Comment