Sunday, June 14, 2009

Walima Option #1

K, so one of my options, is to have the walima for my family at the beach. We have pretty beaches here. Beach location= free. Boxie and me could get a tonne of clear ballons blown up with helium in the morning, we could pick up the cake, a portable CD player (with CDs I approve of). My family could set up that morning at the same time, making driftwood stumps into tables, placing cheap dollar store votive candles in pieces of coral my father salvaged on beach vacations long ago that I will later in the afternoon, arrange flowers into (as I make my own bouquet out of beach wildflowers and flowers from my Aunt's garden). Bouquet= free. Votive candles=$3.00. We could even splurge on the non-tacky looking tiki torches but not light those until later. We'll arrange place settings out of scrabble chips (inventive--I know). Boxie and I will hang up the balloons on the entrance to the part of the beach we want the guests to show up, and then we head off back to my Aunt's house to change, while the family starts cooking all the yummy grilled beach food. I change into something very simple but pretty.
At about this time in the day (picture above) we arrive at the balloon markers, sign the Canadian marriage documents, bid adieu to the civil officer whatever dude, and sit at our tables to eat, huddled under warm beach blankets while my daddy lights a beach fire for us all to sit around and just enjoy the night. Blanket=$50.00. (unless we can get people to bring their own). Food= rest of budget. If we have money left over rest of budget, my Uncle can light off some fireworks.
I'd totally prefer it to sitting on some big old stage while the dance floor is turned into a hunting ground for spouses, and someone waves a Qu'ran over my head (what weirdo biddah is that one?!). The Muslims, we can all pray our salat on the beach, and it will just be a lovely night. This is walima (mixed and majority non-muslim guests) option number one for me. It is public enough no drinking is allowed so I don't have to deal with forcing my relatives to be sober, and it is pretty, and fun, and cheap. So what do you think? Is it a good option?

No comments:

Post a Comment